2.11 - I didn't kick you out. I gave you up.
October 25th, 2019
31 mins 40 secs
About this Episode
This week, I'm joined by Erika Ensign, to discuss a moment from 2012's Asylum of the Daleks, the first episode of Matt Smith's final season as the Doctor, featuring Karen Gillan as Amy Pond and Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams. We talk about why these two companions have so much difficulty communicating, and how this moment clarified the nature of their relationship for Erika.
You can follow Erika on Twitter at @hollygodarkly.Support Doctor Who: The Moment
- Asylum of the Daleks - Wikipedia — "Asylum of the Daleks" is the first episode of the seventh series of the British science fiction television programme Doctor Who, broadcast on BBC One on 1 September 2012. It was written by executive producer Steven Moffat and directed by Nick Hurran. The episode features the alien time traveller the Doctor (Matt Smith) being captured by the Daleks, along with his companions Amy (Karen Gillan) and Rory (Arthur Darvill), who are about to divorce. They are sent by the Daleks to the Asylum, a planet where insane Daleks are exiled, to enable the Asylum to be destroyed before the insane Daleks can escape. The Doctor is helped along the way by Oswin (Jenna-Louise Coleman), a woman whose spaceship had crashed on the planet a year ago and has been trapped there since then.
- #WhoForSchools – Reality Bomb — This October, representatives from your favourite Doctor Who podcasts and some very special guests are coming together to record podcast commentaries for the stories of Season 26: the final season of the Classic Series of Doctor Who. We’re raising funds for The Malala Fund, an organization that fights for girls’ access to education around the world, for every girl’s right to learn and lead as well as several other organizations in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.
- Verity Podcast | Six Smart Women Discussing Doctor Who — A Doctor Who podcast where a rotating cast of six women, from across the globe, talk all things Doctor Who. We have opinions.
- Lazy Doctor Who - a podcast from The Incomparable — Steven Schapansky (Radio Free Skaro, The Memory Cheats) and Erika Ensign (Verity!, The Incomparable, Total Party Kill, The Audio Guide to Babylon 5) are married Doctor Who fans (who also co-produce a fiction podcast for Uncanny Magazine). This is a podcast where they watch every Doctor Who story ever made, from start to finish. Each episode is recorded live.
- Beginner's Puck - a podcast from The Incomparable — A podcast for hockey fans, both new and old. Join Deb and Erika as we deep dive into what makes hockey the greatest sport in the world. Learn the lingo, explore hockey history, and listen to commentary on the most exciting, frustrating, and heart-stopping moments of the week. We love hockey and think you will too! #HockeyIsForEveryone
- Earp Chirp - a podcast from The Incomparable — “Wynonna Earp” is a TV show about the Albertan demon-killin’, gun-totin’ heir to Wyatt Earp’s cursed legacy. Erika Ensign recruits her Albertan friends Annette Wierstra and Kirsten Goruk to share a local perspective on the shenanigans in Purgatory and the Ghost River Triangle (which we all know is central Alberta because that’s where they film the show). The podcast is recorded live after watching each episode together on the red couch they’ve stolen from Lazy Doctor Who.